Officials met in Boonville on Thursday to review safety procedures at local schools for the first time in two years. Leaders said they wanted to make sure plans matched ones kept by authorities, especially after the massacre last month at the elementary in Newtown, Conn.That includes knowing “where the exits are, where the roof hatches are, where the basements are, what we do in certain situations and where will we be going and where will the staff be going,” explained Chief Bobby Welliver.Troopers and police also swapped new keys and blueprints of the facilities, necessary after recent renovations.Officials said pending funds, they want to increase patrols and send more officers to active shooter training.Boonville Superintendent Mark Ficken said, “security is our number one priority and communication is the second.”
BE PART OF THE CONVERSATION
ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.
Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here
If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.