Skip to Content

Duplex Fire Caused by Dryer

A Columbia laundry room fire leaves a home with $30,000 in damage. The Columbia Fire Department was called to the house fire at 4507 Rice Road just after 2:30 P.M. on Tuesday afternoon.Crews found heavy smoke coming from the front door and garage of the two-story duplex. Most of the blaze was in the laundry room near the back of the duplex. There were smoke alarms in the house and they were going off as crews arrived. Firefighters were able to control the fire in about 15 minutes and overhauled the damage to ensure the fire was out.The duplex sustained fire and smoke damage to the laundry room and family room on the first floor and heat and smoke damage to the three bedrooms and a bathroom on the second floor. Columbia Fire Marshal Lt. Shawn Mccollom investigated the fire and determined it started at the clothes dryer in the laundry room. The home is now uninhabitable and the people who lived there will be staying with family. The tenants were unsure if they had renter’s insurance.Three fire engines, a ladder truck, and a rescue squad responded to the blaze. Fire Crews were on the scene for around 90 minutes.Despite the vast damage, no one was hurt in the fire.

Article Topic Follows: News

Jump to comments ↓

ABC 17 News Team


ABC 17 News is committed to providing a forum for civil and constructive conversation.

Please keep your comments respectful and relevant. You can review our Community Guidelines by clicking here

If you would like to share a story idea, please submit it here.

Skip to content