COLUMBIA, Mo. (KMIZ)
The American Cancer Society plans to hold its Relay For Life of Boone County in Columbia on Friday.
The nonprofit organization that aims to increase support for cancer research and patient care will hold the event at the Dexheimer Shelter at Cosmo Park from 5 to 10 p.m.
Handicap and cancer survivor parking is available in the parking lot at the Burford Shelter. Additional parking for the public is available in the Nickel Shelter parking lot.
Registration for survivors is open from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Relay For Life Boone County is scheduled to start with a lap dedicated to cancer survivors and caregivers at 5:30 p.m.
An online silent auction also starts at 8:45 p.m. Organizers plan to display items in the auction under the Dexheimer Pavilion.
Tentative schedule of events:
- 4 p.m.: Survivor booth opens
- 5 p.m.: Soft opening - Touch-A-Truck (includes a firetruck, police car, and other first responders), food trucks, silent auction, and campsites open
- 5:30 p.m.: Opening ceremony including hearing from local ACS-funded cancer research, Dr. Ulery and survivor and caregiver lap, and Hero lap (first responders, firemen, law enforcement, and health care workers are welcome to walk)
- 7 p.m.: All Star Performance Institue performs
- 8:15 p.m.: Body attck
- 8:45 p.m.: Silent auction ends
- 9 p.m.: Luminaria with closing ceremony
- 9:45 p.m.: Closing ceremony
For 2022, the American Cancer Society's goal is to raise $60,000. The funds will go towards cancer research, patient care programs, and other support. At last check, the group has raised nearly $31,500.
The organization said by using its research knowledge, the overall US cancer death rate has decreased by 29% since 1991, which is about 2.9 million cancer deaths during that time period.
Anyone who wants to make a donation can do so through the Relay For Life website.